Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I'm going to share The Story of My life

Yesterday I attended an FCE group that I belong to -, It's a women's group and we have fun.  a presentation of one of the ladies and her husband was given.  it was Chapter 3 of their life together.  Wow was it great to hear.  Tomorrow is my 72nd birthday and it gives me pause to think that I have so many stories to tell, things I've seen and experienced, things I want to share with my children and grand children.  Stories that I don't want lost thru the ages as my time here is fleeting.  Things I would have loved to know about my grand parents. How they met. why they choose to come her to america and settle.  what was life like for them growing up.  what difficulties did they face and how did they overcome them.  Wow, it would be so nice to know these things so I am going to share a bit of my life here for all of you.  

Chapter 1

my younger years and what I remember of them. 

I was born at 6am on August 21st 1942 as i recall from what my father has told me.  I was a cute, chubby baby, my daughter Nancy has a photo of me at the baby stage and I will post one when I find it.  I remember a little about my growing up.  I lived in White Plains NY with my mom and dad.  Mom's parents came from Italy and Dad's father from Germany, his mom lived in Pennsylvania.  I remember visiting both of my grandparents.  they both spoke in their native languages of Italian and German.  and I grew very comfortable listening to them talk although only English was spoken at home.  I lived in Elmsford NY on Taxter Rd.  in a secluded area about a mile from town.  my brothers, Eddie and Bobbie and I would play Cowboys and Indians a lot, we loved to play in the surrounding forest and they loved to tease me about snakes and such.  We also loved to play hooky from school at times and in my day they had truant officers that would come to your house to let your parents know that you had been absent.  Ohhh ouch! those spankings hurt... we had to pick own switches from the hedges outside.  Dad tried to be as gentle as he could.  He was a gentle soul and i'm sure reprimanding us was not something he cherished.  I remember my 13th year the most.  That Summer I spent reading books that we had discovered in the attic of the old farm house we rented.  There were books that told about the Greek Gods, and the stories took me on wondrous adventures with mythical Gods and marvelous places.  It was a very delightful year for me and I enjoyed reading these old books.  I graduated from high school in 1960 from Alexander Hamilton High School in a class of 60 students.  My memories of my high school years are sweet.  friends, football, boys, and most of all Art.  Mrs Christensen was my Art teacher and I loved that class.  I received a scholarship to go to Columbia Bible College in North Carolina and I did for a semester.  

 

I met my husband Raymond the day of my Graduation and that begins the next chapter of my life.  

  

No comments: